51. LOST LEGACIES (1)

Penny Pizzazz's Diary

Monday, San Myshuno

This was supposed to be another ordinary day. I got up in the morning, checked information about the festival, and watched the news to get inspired for another vlog. They were talking about some royal emissary. It didn’t mean anything to me at the time...



But I thought it might be exactly the topic I needed to make it big. Royal scandals, secrets! After all, it was the most interesting thing to happen in San Myshuno since that random townie almost died from eating badly prepared Pufferfish Nigiri.



I went out into the city and couldn’t believe my luck. The royal emissary was casually standing in front of a food stall in my neighborhood.



Penny: Ahem, hello. Could I ask a few questions about the purpose of your visit to our city? Maybe I could help somehow?

Emissary: Do you know anything about art? You don’t exactly look like a connoisseur.

Penny: I’m an influencer, so...



Envoy: Sure, sweetheart. Thanks, but I think I’ll manage on my own. The Darong family has always appreciated works of art, and their collections included famous classical painters. You could probably paint some little picture, but I need a true expert. I don’t have time for amateurs.



Penny: Hey, I’m not... What a woman. She didn’t even look at me. Royal Envoy, my foot. She certainly doesn’t have royal manners. I’ll show her that I know art.



So I went back home and got to work on my own masterpiece. I just finished it. I’m no Simcasso, but I’m still proud of what I created. I wonder if the Darong family would appreciate my talent. Tomorrow I’ll find the Envoy and show her that you don’t ignore Penny Pizzazz.



Tuesday, Willow Creek

Today I went to do a little investigation at the Archives in Willow Creek. My update for my followers was ready. And just as my instincts told me, the Envoy showed up.

Envoy: How did you find me? Actually, never mind. Maybe you can be useful after all.



Envoy: The Darong family treasure is hidden somewhere here, in the old archives. Help me find it.

Penny: Treasure? Real treasure? But what exactly am I supposed to do? Do you have any clues about where to look?



Envoy: I don’t know, I have to go now. Let me know if you find anything.

This woman was acting very strangely. But now I couldn’t back out anymore. I was far too curious about the treasure and what else I might discover.



Stranger: Did I hear correctly that you were talking about the Darong family?

Penny: Yeah, do you know more about them?

Stranger: Only that their famous art collections disappeared long ago, and nobody has found any trace of them since. I’m writing a book about it. Gavin Richards.

Penny: Penny Pizzazz.



Gavin: Why are you interested in the Darong family?

Penny: Actually, I’m helping the royal envoy find that lost treasure.

Gavin: Do you think that’s even possible?

Penny: It’s worth trying, right? I just don’t really know where to start.



Gavin: I’d probably start by searching the archive database. Maybe they have something here.

There was something about this man that drew me in. I wanted to get to know him better. But for now, I had a mission.



I tried hacking into the library computer, but I didn’t find anything interesting. Plus Gavin kept looking over my shoulder and distracting me. But then I finally found a book about the Darongs. And unexpectedly, an old key fell out of it. I wonder if that’s what the Envoy was looking for...



Wednesday, San Myshuno

In the morning I met the Envoy, but I didn’t tell her anything about the key. She was acting suspicious and looked stressed. She mentioned something about the Capps and their weakness for romance. Very strange woman. She left as quickly as she had come.



I thought checking out this lead about the Capps was worth a shot, so I searched the Simternet for anything on them. Most results repeated stories about their romantic tendencies, though I also found a mention of a love for piano music. Then I heard a strange noise outside my door.



Penny: I can’t believe it, it’s you! Were you listening outside my door? How did you even find me? Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about, I caught you!

Gavin: Alright. You caught me. This Darong story intrigued me. I found you on the Simternet and thought maybe we could solve it together.



Penny: How do I know I can trust you? That you don’t just want the treasure for yourself?

Gavin: I’m not interested in the treasure. But I want to write a book about it.

Penny: Let’s say I believe you. In that case, we’ve got some romance movies to watch for research.

Gavin: Romance movies?

Penny: Don’t complain. You wanted to help, so here you go.



Gavin: What is this supposed to be?

Penny: Quiet, watch.

Gavin: You sure this is romance?

Penny: That’s what the channel is called...

Gavin: At least it had a happy ending. I don’t know what it was supposed to teach us, but I know a better place to follow the trail of love, than sitting in front of the TV.




Penny: What do you mean?

Gavin: Stargazer Lounge, do you know the club? It’s a place that perfectly combines music and romance.

Penny: Then I guess I need to dress better.

Gavin: What are you talking about? You look really nice. Like always.



Penny: Look, it’s the Envoy!

Envoy: You again? And who’s with you? I don’t know him.

Penny: He’s helping us, we can trust him.

Gavin: We’re heading to the club. We suspect music plays a key role with the Capps.

Envoy: Perhaps... But I can’t involve this many people. Don’t look for me again.



Gavin: Yeah, there’s definitely something off about her.

Penny: Let’s not tell her too much. So where’s this lounge?

Gavin: Pretty close. We’re almost there.

Penny: Oh gosh, is it much farther? I’m getting so sleepy, I think I should go to bed already.

Gavin: Don’t fall asleep yet. We’re here.



Gavin: I remembered correctly, they have a piano here.

Penny: Don’t tell me you can play.

Gavin: I know a song or two.

Penny: A song or two?? You’re amazing!

Gavin: Want to try too?

Penny: Me? Are you kidding?

Gavin: Come on, I’ll teach you something simple.

Penny: Don’t you dare laugh!



Gavin: You’re actually pretty good.

Penny: No I’m not, haha, stop lying. I have no idea what I’m doing.

Gavin: Seriously, you’re doing well for a first lesson.

Penny: I had fun today.

Gavin: Me too. Maybe we could do it again tomorrow?

Penny: Okay. But tomorrow I’m picking the place.



Thursday, San Myshuno

We met at the Blue Velvet. I love that club. I don’t know why. It has something from years gone by, untouched by modernity yet still full of freshness. Gavin convinced me to play what he taught me yesterday. 



Suddenly, the emissary showed up at the club.

Envoy: What are you two doing here again?! I told you not to follow me!

Penny: Technically, you’re the one who came here after us. Maybe you should tell us what you’re doing here.

Envoy: I... I just wanted to listen to music... and stare at the fire.



Envoy: I should be going now. [If only I could get a look inside the fireplace without them noticing.]

Penny: What did you say?

Envoy: Nothing, nothing. I’m just taking in the atmosphere here. See you later. Or maybe not.



Penny: You hear that too? She said something about the fireplace. I think it’s worth checking.

While digging through the ashes, I noticed a hidden key. Actually, keys... One of them must have belonged to the Capps! But the other one? A mystery! And this time I decided to trust Gavin and show him what I’d discovered.



Gavin: So you’re saying we have three keys now?

Penny: Yes! Isn’t that exciting? I hope you’re not mad that I didn’t tell you earlier about the Darong family key?

Gavin: Are you kidding? I probably wouldn’t have trusted myself either if I were you. 



Gavin: You know, we make a pretty good team.

Penny: You think so?

Gavin: And actually, I just realized how little I know about you. I’d really like to learn more.

Penny: Honestly, I’d like to learn more about you too...



Penny: For example, whether you’re ticklish!

Gavin: What??? Hahaha, yes I am! Stop, please. Hahaha, okay, enough. Hahaha. Well, it’s getting late. I should get going.

Penny: See you, Gavin.

Gavin: See you, Penny. Sweet dreams.


<<<Previous chapter: 50. THE LAST STRAW

>>>Next chapter: 52. LOST LEGACIES (2)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

34. STARS OF DEL SOL VALLEY

43. WORK BUILDS CHARACTER

3. MEANWHILE IN SAN SEQUOIA