5. SECRETS OF TOMARANG

Life in Tomarang was peaceful. Ollie had finally managed to get back on her feet. Working as a fisherman provided a steady income and put food on the table. And now that her skills had improved, it no longer took up half her day.



The job also gave her a certain sense of satisfaction and helped strengthen her emotional awareness. Being in nature had always been important to Ollie, and here, in Tomarang, she was surrounded by nature constantly.



Eventually, she found time to search for the treasure. She started by asking the locals. But, while they had plenty to say about Tomarang's history, it was hard to tell how useful any of the information actually was...

Liên Sadya: Treasures, tigers... Sorry, but I don't believe in those legends.



Isko Mulawin (bartender): I know where you could start. If you've already heard the legend of Khun Mae, then you know that tassels play an important role in the story. I think if you collect a complete set, you might discover something along the way.

Olimpia: Tassels? For real?



Thi Lihn: The truth is hidden all around us. When people trust one another, they're more willing to share their secrets. Talk to your neighbors. Communication is key.

Olimpia: Thank you, Captain Obvious.

 



Dakila Zulueta: I think I might know something more about the treasure.

Olimpia: Really?

Dakila: When Khun Mae took on the responsibility of saving the village, the Elders tasked her with finding the Watcher. I'm convinced that this Watcher was protecting the treasure.

Olimpia: I see... Do you know anything else about the "Watcher"?

Dakila: Unfortunately, no.  



Townie: Oh, I just remembered something! Did you know that our ancestors lived in harmony with tigers?

Olimpia: Yes, I did. I work at the Sanctuary.

Townie: It's our duty to protect them, but I think I'd be afraid to be around them so closely. 



Disheartened, Ollie returned to her apartment, only to find someone already waiting for her.

Bua Bun Ma: I heard you're looking for a treasure. The very same one that an emissary was searching for 90 years ago. Perhaps I could help.



Olimpia: Really? I have to admit, no one has told me anything useful so far.

Bua Bun Ma: That's because no one in this little town is as old as I am, child. Come see me tomorrow. I need to refresh my memory a little and read through my mother's old journals.



Feeling encouraged, Ollie entered her apartment, only to be met with an unpleasant surprise. She wasn't sure whether she should touch anything, so just to be safe, she called Vanesha. After all, it was her property.



Vanesha: Oh dear, Ollie, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I can't fix a thing. Maybe I should just replace all the plumbing? That would be easier.

Olimpia: OMW, you're kidding, right? If you don't mind, I know how to fix little problems like this.

Vanesha: Really?

Olimpia: Seriously, it's no big deal!



Ollie quickly took care of the problem.

Vanesha: You're amazing! Where did you learn how to do that? I understand nothing from those handiness books.

Olimpia: Working at the equestrian center taught me a few things. Sometimes you had to unclog a drain or tighten a screw.



Vanesha: And how's the treasure hunt going? Have you found any leads yet?

Olimpia: For now, I'm gathering information. People here are open and happy to answer questions. But I'm not sure I'm asking the right ones.



Vanesha: What do you mean?

Olimpia: Everyone tells me legends about Khun Mae, her bond with tigers, the battle with the Beast. But how does any of that lead me to the treasure? I feel lost! What does a Tomarang legend have to do with a treasure lost 100 years ago?!



Olimpia: I'll probably never uncover this mystery... I wish my dad were here. He always knows what to do. He's already made so many incredible discoveries. This would be a piece of cake for him.



Vanesha: You must really miss him.

Olimpia: I do. All of them. You know, I called them, like you advised. And everything is supposedly fine. But I still feel this emptiness inside.

Vanesha: Come on. I'll show you something.



Vanesha: Whenever I'm feeling down and that emptiness creeps in, I come here and release a lantern. It always helps me feel connected again, like I'm part of something bigger. It's as if I'm releasing my worries along with the lantern.



Vanesha: Maybe it'll help you, too. 



Olimpia: I'll give it a try.



Olimpia: Hey, it really worked! I feel so much better!

Vanesha: See? I told you.

Olimpia: Thank you for sharing this with me.

Vanesha: That's what friends are for. I'm glad you're feeling better.



Olimpia: Even if I don't manage to find the treasure, I'm still glad I came here. Little by little, I'm starting to feel at home. Maybe this is what I've been looking for all along, my own place in the world.


<<<Previous chapter: 4. FAR FROM HOME


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

34. STARS OF DEL SOL VALLEY

43. WORK BUILDS CHARACTER

3. MEANWHILE IN SAN SEQUOIA